Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Musical friendships are different, special

Have you formed friendships with people in your life with whom you share a musical bond? Can you talk about it, or is it beyond the spoken word (if so, I know how you feel).

Maybe it's a family bond between sister and brother, or parent and child. Was the bond there already before the child, latent?

Maybe you met already grown up, standing up, listening to music at a concert. Or sitting down at a bar. Perhaps you knew your special musical friend first in a nonmusical way; and the music came later, to fill in an unknown gap.

Or maybe you met in making music yourself, or in making it together, with them. Maybe you came to meet your special musical friends at a period of time defined by the music of the time. Or maybe a particular instrument is the focus of your friendships...

All my life, I've found myself drawn to the musical people around me, because they are music itself's muse. Through them, I hear the bells of the beyond ringing in a pure language I recognize, but cannot articulate myself, alone.

Music loves company, and so do musicians. I'd love to hear your musical friendships story, put to words. Play one for me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment